Report and consent

Report and consent refers to aspects of your building design that do not meet the siting requirements under the Building Regulations 2018.

In a situation like this, before a building surveyor can issue a building permit, you must either apply to obtain Council's consent or amend your design to comply with the regulations.

How to apply

If you'd like to apply for Council's consent to request a permit that varies from the standards, you'll need to provide the following.

  • A completed application form(DOC, 891KB)
  • Certificate of Title and Title Plan
  • Clear, legible drawings, including a site plan, floor plans and elevations. The plans must highlight the areas of non-compliance with the Building Regulations.
  • A written submission describing the proposal and justification under the Minister's Guidelines.

The advertising of report and consent applications will be extended over the 2023/24 holiday period to ensure interested parties are provided with the adequate time to review plans.

The last date for advertising will be Friday 8 December 2023.

To allow for enough time for applications to be assessed, you will need to apply and pay no later than Monday 4 December 2023.

Any applications that do not meet the advertising deadline will be held until advertising resumes on Monday 29 January 2024.

Neighbours' input and appeals

When considering any application for report and consent, we take into account the effect the proposed design might have on adjoining properties.

As of 1 July 2022, Council will be charging applicants a fee of $225 to advertise their report and consent application to affected adjoining property owners. This fee is not applicable for all applications, please contact Council at to find out if advertising is necessary.

Residents affected by neighbouring works may comment using affected neighbours form(DOC, 850KB).

Those comments may affect our decision to approve or refuse the application. We allow at least two weeks for an adjoining owner to review plans held with Council.

Precautions - Regulation 116

Some building works may be unsafe to the public without protective measures. The building surveyor will determine when precautions must be taken before and during building works to protect the public's safety.

If these precautions are to be erected over the street alignment, you must have consent in place before applying for a hoarding permit to erect the hoarding, protective barrier or temporary fencing on Council land.

When you've been issued with your report and consent, you can apply for a hoarding permit.

You need to provide the following with your application

  • Completed Report and Consent - Precautions Over Street application form(DOC, 834KB).
  • A fully scaled, detailed site plan indicating the size and site of the hoarding. The plan should also include physical constraints such as pits, poles, drainage points and street trees.
  • Clear and complete building permit application documents, including the scope of work giving rise to the requirement for precautions and details of the precautions proposed).
  • Copy of the relevant building surveyor's document, setting out requirements for precautions to protect the safety of the public, written approval of proposed precautions and their suitability for the works to be undertaken on the site.
  • A detailed traffic management plan, including details of public protection while precautions are erected and removed.



Designs requiring consent under Parts 5, 6, 8 and 10: $311.80 (per regulation)

Designs requiring consent under Regulation 116: $316.40

Designs requiring consent under Regulation 130 (Building over an easement): $456.50

Section 173 costs (if required): $2800 (subject to change)

Appealing a decision

If we decide to refuse your application, you have the right to appeal the decision to the Building Appeals Board.

More information

For further information about the regulations, refer to the Victorian Building Authority website.

If you'd like more information on report and consent or the application process, you can contact the Municipal Building Surveyor's Office by calling 03 8290 3525 or email