Occupancy Permits and Certificates of Final Inspection

Occupancy Permits following building work

Before a building can be occupied, the owner needs an Occupancy Permit. Your building permit will state whether you require an Occupancy Permit or a Certificate of Final Inspection.

Occupancy Permits are only issued when the building work is complete, and new homes (including units or apartments) will always require one. It is an offence to occupy a new home that does not have an occupancy permit.

Occupancy Permits also play an important role in establishing the start date for builders’ warranties and, often, when the builder gets final payment. 

Under the Building Act, a separate fee is required for an application for an Occupancy Permit, although this is often included in the building permit quote.

Occupancy Permits for places of public entertainment

Occupancy Permits exist for places of public entertainment such as theatres, nightclubs, halls, sportsgrounds and certain prescribed temporary structures. (Refer to Building Act 1993.) 

Such permits are required prior to conducting entertainment in a place of public entertainment, regardless of whether building work has been carried out.

Amending an existing Occupancy Permit

You can apply to have an Occupancy Permit amended(DOC, 2MB) (i.e. for change of use) if the conditions of the building have changed since the permit was first issued.

Generally only the Municipal Building Surveyor may amend or cancel an existing Occupancy Permit, even one issued by a private building surveyor.

Applying for a copy of an existing Occupancy Permit 

If you’d like a copy of an existing Occupancy Permit, you can apply for one:

Occupancy Permits fees (includes Division 2)

  • Class 1: $548.63
  • Other Classes: $862.13
  • Places of public entertainment: minimum $1563.52
  • Subdivision of existing Building Report: $1960.42

Certificate of Final Inspection

If an occupancy permit is not required, a Certificate of Final inspection is issued by the relevant building surveyor after approval of the final inspection stage.

The purpose of the certificate of final inspection is to identify a start date for the liability period for building faults.

Contact Us

If you’d like more information about occupancy permits, Certificates of Final Inspection or anything else mentioned on this page, you can contact the Municipal Building Surveyor Unit by calling 03 8290 1333 or emailing council@stonnington.vic.gov.au.