Hard waste collection
We run two hard waste collections a year: in spring and autumn.
Find your next hard waste collection date
We deliver brochures to all households at least two weeks before the collection date.
You can also call Customer Service on 8290 1333 to find out when your collection date is.
Before putting out your hard waste, think about whether any items still work or could be used by others. Many recycling groups and organisations are happy to take items in working condition, such as Op shops, Freecycle and Ziilch.
Notice to residents
You may be concerned to see mattresses and garden waste being collected by the same truck. Don't be alarmed, all mattresses and green waste are sent to a sorting facility where both streams are separated and recycled appropriately.
Getting ready for collection day
As you put items out for collection, remember:
- Individual items must weigh less than 20 kilograms.
- All items must be shorter than 1.5 metres (mattresses excepted).
- We will collect a total of five cubic metres of hard waste per household.
What can go out for collection
We collect four types of waste.
Please stack the items in separate piles.
||Where it goes
|Green waste (bundled)
||We recycle it
||Metal drums, paint tins, car parts, white goods, hot water units
|We recycle it
||Clothes, mattresses, pottery, broken mirrors
||We dispose of it
||TVs, computers, printers, hard drives
||We recycle it
What can't go out for collection
We will not collect these items:
- renovation or building materials
- gas bottles
- passenger car, 4WD or truck tyres
- household garbage
- car bodies or engine blocks
- hazardous materials
- motor oil, liquid waste or pesticides
- chemicals, pharmaceuticals
- fire extinguishers
- car batteries, or
- household batteries (these can go to any Stonnington library, service centre, aquatic centre or Waste Transfer Station).
Where do these go?
Visit Planet Ark or call 1300 733 712.
- Items must not be placed out for collection any earlier than 2 days before your collection date.
- Waste put out late won't be collected. You'll need to remove it from the nature strip to avoid a fine.
- Any footpath must be clear of waste at all times with suitable access for wheelchairs, prams, etc.
- Don't park your vehicle in front of the waste on collection day.
- To increase recycling, items will be removed by more than one vehicle during collection day.
- Mattresses are removed by a different truck after other items are gone.
- If you live in an apartment building without access to a nature strip, please contact your body corporate to arrange a collection for you.
Please note: All hard rubbish is for Council's authorised collectors. It's an offence to interfere with it.
Still got hard rubbish?
You can drop most items off at our Waste Transfer Station before the next hard waste collection date (you may have to pay a fee).
For more information, visit the Waste Transfer Station or call 8290 1333.