Event Permit


You will need an Event Permit if you are a business or community organisation planning a festival, event or activation on Council-owned land like a park, garden, footpath or open space.

If you are looking to host a private event like a wedding or party in a Council park, you do not need an Event Permit. However, you may need to make a booking to use the park.

You do not need an Event Permit to conduct fundraising activities in Stonnington but you require a Promotional Activities, Street Sampling or Fundraising Permit.


Use our Permit Finder if you’re not sure what permits you need.

For more information, contact our Festivals and Events team at filmandeventpermits@stonnington.vic.gov.au call 03 8290 1102.

How to apply

  1. Secure public liability insurance

    You need to provide a Certificate of Currency for public liability insurance covering at least $20 million.

  2. Prepare your documents

    Prepare the documents you may need to submit with your application. See the FAQs for a list of documents.

  3. Complete the application

    Download and complete an Event Permit Application Form(PDF, 693KB).

  4. Submit your application

    Email your completed form with supporting documents to our Festival and Events team at filmandeventpermits@stonnington.vic.gov.au

    Or mail to:
    City of Stonnington
    Festivals and Events
    PO Box 58
    Malvern VIC 3144

  5. Receive your permit

    Our team will be in contact to discuss your event and anything else we need. Once everything is in order, we will issue your permit and your event can go ahead.

Frequently asked questions

How much does an Event Permit cost?

There is a non-refundable $66.14 application fee for an Event Permit. The permit itself is free but there may be park hire fees if you hold your event in a public park.

How long does it take to get an Event Permit?

To allow enough time to assess, approve and process your Event Permit:

  • applications for community, trader and commercial events must be submitted a minimum of 60 days before the event
  • applications for major events and festivals must be submitted a minimum of 120 days before the event.

What documents do I need to apply?

All applicants must provide a Certificate of Currency for public liability insurance covering at least $20 million.

You will likely need to provide other relevant documentation with your application. This depends on the size and type of your event, but can include:

  • Site plan.
  • Risk management plan.
  • Event management plan.
  • Safety and emergency management plan.
  • Daily site safety checklist.
  • Infrastructure (including signage) and facilities list.
  • Site manager bump in and out checklist.
  • Evidence of park, garden or venue booking.
  • Lost child process.
  • Incident report form for staff, contractor and/or member of public.
  • Resident and trader event notification.
  • WorkSafe licence to discharge fireworks.
  • Evidence of correspondence with Victoria Police.
  • Road closure diagram.
  • Traffic management plan.
  • Temporary Food Permit documents.
  • Temporary liquor licence.
  • Alcohol management plan including liquor licence.
  • Places of public crowding in a security audit (National Security Document AUS/NZ).
  • Caterers' daily safety checklist.
  • Contractor Job Safety Analysis (JSA).
  • Contractor Safe Work Method Statement (SWMS).
  • Evidence of notification to Victoria Police Local Area Commander.
  • Prahran Police Complex
    396 Malvern Road
    Prahran VIC 3181

How do I make sure my event is COVID-safe?

Your event must comply with current Victorian Government's COVID-19 guidelines and restrictions, including social distancing, hygiene measures and vaccination mandates. Please check the COVIDSafe settings in place at the time of your event.

You must have a COVIDSafe Plan, which includes the following:

  • Event details including event name, contact details of key event personnel, description, date, start and end times, running order, website links and any previous experience that the event organiser has had keeping to COVIDSafe event standards.
  • Running order.
  • Venue/site details including venue/site name, size, and capacity, access management arrangements, number of staff, sub-contractors and volunteers on site.
  • Site map which must include:
    • clear labels of the zoning for installation and activity areas
    • fencing (if the event is in an open public space)
    • a separate map for indoor and outdoor spaces
    • entry and exit points for patrons
    • flow and movement of patrons (if applicable)
    • emergency assembly areas location of first aid and the isolation facility
    • sanitisation areas.
  • Attendance details including attendee demographics, alcohol consumption and previous year’s attendance numbers (if applicable).
  • Explanation of how the event will manage public transport hubs, car parks, ventilation of indoor spaces, food and beverage preparation and service areas, stages and any other areas that encourage congregation and co-mingling.