Do I need a building permit?

You’ll need a building permit for building work you undertake on most commercial, industrial and residential developments. 

This can include the following, regardless of the cost of works:

  • New buildings
  • Alterations and additions to current buildings
  • Pergolas (roofed), verandahs and shade sails
  • Decks and balconies
  • Changes to the use of a building
  • Minor structures, including garages and sheds
  • Demolition of existing buildings
  • Swimming pools, spas or safety barriers
  • Shop fit outs.

Are there exceptions?

For information about which work requires may not require a building permit, refer to the exemption allowances of the Building Regulations, or check the Building and Planning Permits page at the Victorian Building Authority website.

Will I need a planning permit, as well?

In some cases you may need a planning permit in addition to a building permit. 

You can find out more information in the Planning section of our website

Note: If you require a planning permit, a building permit cannot be issued until the planning permit is issued. 

What about permits for small businesses?

If you’re starting, growing or changing a business and you’re not sure about what permits you require, complete our small business self assessment tool. It can help you determine whether you require a permit for your site. You can also use the tool to find out about the support provided by our business concierge service. 

Visit our Business Permits and Regulations page for more information.

How do I apply for a permit?

Building permits are issued by building surveyors. You can engage the City of Stonnington’s Municipal Building Surveyor or you can choose a private building surveyor. 

Find out how to apply for a building permit