Report and Consent

Report and Consent 

Report and Consent refers to aspects of your building design that do not meet the siting requirements under the Building Regulations 2018

In a situation like this, before a building surveyor can issue a building permit, you must either apply to obtain Council’s consent or amend your design to comply with the regulations.

How to apply

If you’d like to apply for Council’s consent to request a permit that varies from the standards, you’ll need to provide the following:

  • Completed application form(DOC, 891KB).
  • Certificate of Title and Title Plan.
  • Clear, legible drawings, including a site plan, floor plan(s), and elevations. The plans must highlight the areas of non-compliance with the Building Regulations.
  • A written submission describing the proposal and justification under the Minister’s Guidelines.


Designs requiring consent under Parts 5, 6, 8 & 10: $294.74

Designs requiring consent under Regulation 116: $299.10

Designs requiring consent under Regulation 130 (Building over an easement): $418.00

  • Section 173 costs (if required): $2700 (subject to change)

For further information about the regulations, refer to the Victorian Building Authority website.

If you’d like more information on report and consent or the application process, you can contact the Municipal Building Surveyor’s Office by calling 8290 3525 or email

Neighbours’ input and appeals

When considering any application for report and consent, we take into account the effect the proposed design might have on adjoining properties.

As of 1 July 2020, Council will be charging applicants a fee of $204.00 to advertise their Report and Consent application to affected adjoining property owners. This fee is not applicable for all applications, please contact Council to find out if advertising is necessary.

Residents affected by neighbouring works may comment using this form(DOC, 848KB). Those comments may have a bearing on our decision to approve or refuse the application. We allow at least two weeks for an adjoining owner to review plans held with Council. 

Appealing a report and consent decision

If we decide to refuse your application, you have the right to appeal the decision to the Building Appeals Board

Precautions - Regulation 116

Some buildings works may be unsafe to the public without protective measures. The building surveyor will determine when precautions must be taken before and during building works to protect the safety of the public. 

If these precautions are to be erected over the street alignment you must have consent in place before applying for a hoarding permit to erect the hoarding, protective barrier or temporary fencing on Council land.

When you’ve been issued with your report and consent you can apply for a hoarding permit.

To apply for your report and consent – precautions you need to provide the following with your application:

  • Completed Report and Consent - Precautions Over Street application form(DOC, 834KB).
  • A fully scaled, detailed site plan indicating the size and site of the hoarding. The plan should also include physical constrains such as pits, poles, drainage points and street trees.
  • Clear and complete building permit application documents (ie. scope of work giving rise to the requirement for precautions and details of the precautions proposed).
  • Copy of the relevant building surveyor’s document, setting out requirements for precautions to protect the safety of the public, written approval of proposed precautions and their suitability for the works to be undertaken on the site.
  • A detailed traffic management plan, including details of public protection while precautions are erected and removed.