Road Occupation Permit

You need to apply for a Road Occupation Permit if you intend to occupy Council land while conducting any of the following activities:

  • Carrying out construction works or using a concrete pump.
  • Using a mobile crane or travel tower. (If you apply for a crane permit, and the crane overhangs or encroaches above a property not related to your works, you need to supply evidence of written consent by the owner of the airspace.)
  • Storing building materials, plants, equipment, site sheds or machinery.

Apply for Road Occupation Permit

Apply online:

Apply for Road Occupation Permit via eServices portal

As part of the application, you’ll need to provide the following:


  • Application fee for road occupation permit: $172
  • Occupation fee if applicable (for storage materials, site sheds, etc): $9 per m² / week
  • Cranes & Lifting Devices fee if applicable: $240 per day

Hoarding and barricades

Hoarding and barricades are used to protect the public during construction and to secure a site when it’s unattended. You must have a permit in place before erecting hoarding, a protective barrier or temporary fencing on Council land.

If a hoarding is required in relation to a building permit you’ll need to obtain Report and Consent - Precautions Over Street from Council before the building permit can be issued.

When you’ve been issued with your Report and Consent you can apply for a hoarding permit.

Applying for hoarding and barricades

Apply for hoarding and barricades via eServices portal

You need to provide the following with your application:

  • A completed application form(DOC, 2MB).
  • A fully scaled, detailed site plan indicating the size and site of the hoarding. The plan should also include physical constraints such as pits, poles, drainage points and street trees.
  • A detailed traffic management plan.
  • A copy of a current certificate of public liability for $20 million.


  • Application fee for hoarding permit: $172
  • Occupation fee (capped at $836 per week): $7 per m² / week

More information

If you’d like more information about Road Occupation Permits or anything else mentioned on this page, you can contact us on 8290 1333 or by emailing