Road and footpath openings consent

Consent to open a road or footpath

If you intend to conduct works in the road, footpath or on Council land you will need consent prior to commencing work. Works may include connecting new services such as water, gas, underground power supply, stormwater or reinstatement of our asset.

Dial Before You Dig

Before you apply for consent, contact Dial Before you Dig on 03 9259 0100 to find out if there are any utility services or infrastructure located below ground, either underneath or near your proposed works.

How do I apply for road opening and footpath consent?

Your application must include:

  • a completed Application For Consent to Open a Road Surface form(DOCX, 657KB)
  • a copy of Memorandum of Consent from VicRoads (if applicable) for any works in, on, or over an arterial road(PDF, 28KB) or freeway
  • a Dial Before You Dig report
  • a detailed site plan of the location of the works that shows Council’s assets
  • a description of the type of works to be undertaken
  • details of the start and completion dates
  • a detailed traffic management plan
  • a copy of your Certificate of Currency for public liability (minimum $20m cover)
  • a copy of your letter notifying all residents, businesses or third parties who will be affected.

Please allow the following time for us to process your application:

  • 15 business days for supply extension works
  • 15 - 20 business days for connection of services

Fees and lodgement

Application fee: $147.90 (if applicable additional reinstatement fees will apply).

Submit your application or make an enquiry:

  • In person: Stonnington City Centre Ground Floor, 311 Glenferrie Road, Malvern, Victoria
  • By post: Liveability and Compliance Unit - PO Box 58, Malvern, Victoria 3144
  • Office hours: Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 5pm
  • Phone: 03 8290 1333
  • Fax: 03 9521 2255

Notice of Completion of Work

At the completion of road opening works, the works manager must notify Council within 24 hours by submitting a completed road opening notice of completion form(DOC, 89KB)

Any excavation must be reinstated to Council standards. Should any further work need to be undertaken by Council to bring the temporary reinstatement up to Council’s standards, the applicant will be liable for the costs.