Demolition Requests

If part of your development plan involves demolition of a building, you may need to get consent from Council before going ahead with the demolition.

How do I work out if I need consent?

As detailed in the Building Act 1993:

Under Section 29A, if an application is made to the relevant building surveyor for a building permit for the demolition of a building, report and consent from Council must be obtained if either:

  • 'The demolition, and all other demolitions completed or permitted in respect of the building, within the period of three years immediately preceding the date of the application, would together amount to the demolition of more than one half of the volume of the building as it existed at the date of the first building permit to be issued within that period, for the demolition of any part of the building.'
  • 'The demolition is of any part of the facade of a building.'

How do I request consent for demolition?

You can request consent for demolition online via the ePlanning portal. The statutory fee of $91.40 is applicable for all Section 29A requests.

Request consent for demolition online 

You can also use the ePlanning portal to submit applications, inquiries, objections and search for application and permit information.

If you're unable to apply online, download and complete the Request for Report and Consent on Proposed Demolition form(PDF, 119KB). You can mail the completed form to the address listed on the form.