The average Stonnington garbage bin contains around 36% food waste. Recycling this waste is a great opportunity to recover a valuable resource from the waste stream and to reduce the overall volume of waste sent to landfill.
Food waste can be put in Council food and green waste bins, which can be ordered as an opt-in service with fortnightly collection.
To help you collect kitchen scraps for your food and green waste bin, we're providing free kitchen caddies and compostable liners.
Caddies and liners can be collected during business hours from our service centres in Malvern and Prahran.
If you need assistance please email the Environment team.
How can I reduce my food waste?
Before you consider recycling your food waste, the first step is to consider whether you can reduce the amount of food you need to throw away. You can do that by:
- Planning. Food planning can help you save time and money, ensuring you only buy the things you need.
- Shopping efficiently. Write a list before you go shopping and check your fridge and cupboards so you know what you have.
- Cooking to a meal plan. Use up ingredients with leftovers and be careful with portion sizes.
- Correct storage. Make your food last longer by storing it the right way. Make sure your fridge is set to 3 or 4 degrees Celsius and avoid overcrowding so that air can circulate.
Other ways to recycle food and garden waste
The Armadale Baptist Church community garden
Take your food and garden scraps to the Armadale Baptist Church any time and help create valuable fertiliser and soil for their community garden.
The compost bays are located at the entrance to the garden at 88 Kooyong Rd, Armadale.
For further information, contact the Armadale Baptist Church community garden committee at email@example.com
ShareWaste with neighbours
ShareWaste is an online platform that connects people with excess kitchen scraps to neighbours who are composting, worm farming or keeping chickens. You can search for nearby composts or request to receive other people’s food scraps.
Discounts for worms farms and compost bins
To support residents in recycling their food waste at home, we offer free delivery and 40 per cent off worm farms, compost bins and bokashi bins (small composting bins for use in the kitchen).
For more information about this program and the products on offer - visit the Compost Revolution website. The site features an online step-by-step tutorial to show you how to use each of the products.
The Stonnington Apartment Composting Program
Our Apartment Composting Program supports owners' corporations to set up on-site communal worm farms or compost bins to encourage residents to recycle their food waste.
- 40% off worm farms and solar composters
- a free on-site or online worm farming workshop for residents
- free kitchen caddies for residents
- access to information and support materials.
Choose which composting system is best for your apartment building:
Hungry Bin worm farm
- Self contained system that needs to be installed on a stable surface, in shade.
- Approximately the size of a large wheelie bin.
- Infrequent emptying is required by removing castings at the bottom of the worm farm.
- Produces liquid ‘worm tea’ which can be diluted and used as a plant fertiliser.
- Processes up to 2kg of food scraps per day.
- Takes a limited range of food scraps (i.e. no citrus, onions or bread).
Green Cone solar composter
- Cone shaped system standing 110cm above ground and base diameter of 38cm.
- Needs to be partially buried in a sunny patch of soil or grass (up to a depth of 42cm).
- Requires professional installation. Please follow manufacturer’s instructions and check with Dial before you dig.
- Low maintenance - no need to turn or empty.
- Takes a large range of food scraps (including citrus, onions and bread).
How to sign up for the Apartment Composting Program
- Contact your Owners' Corporation and let them know you'd like to be the Resident Champion for this program.
- Get support for the program with your apartment neighbours (we’ll need 30% of your neighbours to be interested to join the program)
- Complete the application form.
The following documents will help you to complete the application form:
What happens post-application
Your Owner's Corporation will receive an email about ordering the units, payment and installation. We will arrange a visit with the Resident Champion with info packs and training sessions.
If you have further questions about the program you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 8290 1333.