Apply for planning permit

Your submission must have:

  • a completed application form (from our ePlanning portal)
  • the application fee
  • a recent copy of your Land Title, with details of any covenants or encumbrances noted on the title
  • a written summary of your planned works
  • a copy of any site plan
  • a copy of any elevations
  • any photos of the site.

Find out more in our ePlanning Portal and the checklist in the application pack.

Developing on a site of less than 500m2

If you want a permit for a site under 500 square metres in area, you must provide extra ResCode information.

Tree removal, destruction or lopping

Greater protections are in place in some areas regarding tree removal, destruction or lopping. You will need to apply for a Planning Permit if land is located within a:

  • Significant Landscape Overlay (Schedule 1 - Yarra River Corridor Environs)
  • Neighbourhood Character Overlay (Schedule 1 - Hedgley Dene Precinct and Schedule 8 - Lalbert Crescent Precinct)

Some heritage overlays also include specific tree protection controls, which require a Planning Permit for tree removal, destruction or lopping.

To find out if land is protected by an overlay which requires a permit to remove, destroy or lop a tree, search the address on VicPlan or contact Council’s Planning Department on 03 8290 3329.

If your application is for the removal, destruction or lopping of one tree only, you are eligible to submit your request through VicSmart. This process will take up to 10 business days once Council has received all required information.

To remove, to destroy or lop more than one tree, you can apply through the standard planning permit process.

Before you apply

Plan ahead

  • Find out about any relevant planning policies or guidelines.
  • Think about using a design professional, sustainability consultant or planning consultant. This is important if your proposal is large or complex.

Site analysis

  • Take photos of the site and surrounding area, including neighbouring properties.
  • Consider sustainability opportunities and constraints.
  • Talk to neighbouring property owners to find out what they value about their property and why.
  • Get a surveyor to record the exact dimensions, slope and conditions of the site and surrounding area (if necessary).
  • Make a site description to show the characteristics of the site and surrounding area.

Prepare concept or sketch plans

  • Prepare plans for your proposal, thinking about the opportunities and limits shown by your site analysis.
  • Think about sustainable design and landscaping for your proposed development.
  • Prepare a design response statement. This shows how your initial design responds to the site and surrounding area, including sustainable design aspects.
  • Find out more in Sustainability in Your Planning Application.

Get pre-application advice

  • We offer pre-application advice for more complex land use and major development proposals. Before lodging your application, you can send a pre-application advice request.(PDF, 235KB) Please see here for more information.
    For simple proposals or changes and additions, pop into our office to talk with a planner.
  • We can let you know if you're on the right track, and talk about any potential issues. We'll also let you know about relevant Council policies to think about for your application.

Talk to your neighbours

  • Think about talking with neighbours before finalising plans. If they're unhappy with something in your proposal, you could reach a compromise before lodging your application.
  • Being upfront from the start reduces the potential for later conflict. If there are no objections, your application will likely be processed faster.

Review and finalise your plans

  • Weigh up the feedback from Council and your neighbours. Review your plans and include any changes you think are reasonable.
  • Finalise your plans and any written material, including your neighbourhood and site description and design response.

Lodge your application

  • View the checklist (available in our ePlanning portal and application pack) for all the necessary information, then lodge your planning application with Council.

Revising a plan after submitting

Yes, you can:

  • lodge revised plans to a planning application
  • change the proposal details or site address (if no decision has been made).

Before we can review the changes, you need to:

For more information, log into your account on the ePlanning portal.

How to apply


Use the Planning Register in our ePlanning portal to locate the relevant application and apply online.

Apply for a permit via ePlanning

By mail

Each form includes detailed instructions on what information you need to provide in your application:

Standard Application Form

Download Standard Application Form(PDF, 337KB)

Use this form for all new planning permit applications except Melbourne Water Special Building Overlay and Hedgeley Dene Tree Works, which have separate forms.

Special Building Overlay - Melbourne Water-only application form

Download Melbourne Water-only SBO form(PDF, 336KB)

This form is for sites that are over 500 square metres in area and for which the only trigger for a planning permit is the Special Building Overlay for Melbourne Water.

You need to contact Melbourne Water before you apply. When applying, ensure you include the approved plans and cover letter.

For more information, visit Clause 44.05 of the Stonnington Planning Scheme.

Hedgeley Dene - Neighbourhood Character Overlay tree works-only application form

Download Hedgeley Dene NCO Tree Work form(PDF, 272KB)

Use this form for sites within Hedgeley Dene where the only trigger for a planning permit is to lop, prune or remove trees - Neighbourhood Character Overlay.

For more information, visit Clause 43.05 of the Stonnington Planning Scheme.


Download VicSmart application form(PDF, 331KB)

VicSmart is a simple and fast planning permit process for permit applications relating to:

  • minor subdivisions
  • minor buildings and works
  • tree removal and lopping
  • small advertising signs
  • car parking and loading bay waivers.