Do I need a planning permit?
In most cases, you need a planning permit if you want to develop or changes how land is used in Stonnington.
First, you need to figure out whether you need a planning permit, a building permit, or both.
- A planning permit is for the use and/or development of land.
- A building permit relates to the construction of a development only - not what the land can be used for.
- In some cases you need both a building and a planning permit.
To check if you need a Building Permit, see our Building Permits page or contact our Liveability and Compliance Unit.
The Stonnington Planning Scheme has:
- state and local planning policies
- other provisions
affecting how you can use and develop land in our municipality.
Do I need a planning permit under the Scheme?
You may need a planning permit if you intend to:
- construct or complete works on a dwelling on a lot under 500 square metres in area
- develop and use a multi-unit development
- change the use of land
- construct, alter or paint a building
- set up a new business
- start or expand a business without sufficient on-site car parking
- carry out exterior works to a dwelling located within a Heritage Overlay
- construct a tennis court or swimming pool
- apply for a new liquor licence.
Call our planners on 03 8290 3329 to find out if you need to apply for a planning permit.
Find out how to apply for a planning permit.
VicSmart is a quick planning permit process for simple applications.
You can use VicSmart to apply for:
- minor subdivisions
- minor buildings and works
- tree removal and lopping
- small advertising signs
- car parking and loading bay waivers.
The Complete VicSmart Guide walks you through whether the process is right in your case.
It also links to the VicSmart application portal.