Do I need a planning permit?

In most cases, you’ll need a planning permit if you want to develop or make changes to the way land is used in Stonnington. 

To begin, you’ll need to determine whether you need a planning permit, a building permit, or both.

  • A planning permit is for the use and/or development of land.
  • A building permit relates to the construction of a development only - not what the land can be used for.
  • There are cases where you’ll require both a building and a planning permit. 

To determine if you require a Building Permit refer to our Building Permits page or contact our Liveability and Compliance Unit.

The Stonnington Planning Scheme contains state and local planning policies, zones, overlays, and other provisions that affect how you can use and develop land in our municipality. 

Do I need a planning permit under the Scheme?

You may need a planning permit if you intend to:

  • construct or complete works on a dwelling on a lot less than 500 square metres in area
  • develop and use a multi-unit development
  • change the use of land
  • construct, alter or paint a building
  • set up a new business
  • commence or expand a business without sufficient on-site car parking
  • carry out exterior works to a dwelling located within a Heritage Overlay
  • construct a tennis court or swimming pool
  • applying for a new liquor licence.

Please call one of our planners on 8290 3329 to determine whether you need to make an application for a planning permit.

Find out how to apply for a planning permit on our application page.


VicSmart is a simple and fast planning permit process for straightforward applications.

You can use VicSmart to apply for:

  • minor subdivisions
  • minor buildings and works
  • tree removal and lopping
  • small advertising signs
  • car parking and loading bay waivers.

The Complete VicSmart Guide gives you a thorough overview of whether the process is right in your case and links through to the VicSmart application portal.