Starting kindergarten

In Stonnington, there are 40 Kindergarten centres that offer a range of programs and hours to suit your family.

Key information

Each kindergarten offers different kinds of programs (hours, activities and learning styles).

There are two types of kindergarten programs that Early Years services provide.

  • Sessional programs: these have a set timetable and run 2 to 5 days per week within the school term only, charging fees per term.
  • Integrated programs: offered as part of a long day care enrolment. These operate at least 8 hours per day for 48 weeks per year, charging fees daily.

When registering, you will need to select which program you would like your child to attend.

For information on the times and costs of each program, contact the Early Years service directly.

When to send your child to kindergarten

If your child is born 1 May 2019 to 30 April 2020, register for four-year old kinder in 2024.

If your child is born 1 May 2020 to 30 April 2021:

  • register for three-year-old kinder in 2024
  • register for four-year-old kinder in 2025.

If your child is born 1 May 2021 to 30 April 2022:

  • register for either three-year-old kinder in 2025
  • submit an expression of interest for four-year-old kinder in 2026.

For your child to attend school at the right time, they should either:

  • turn three by 30 April of the year they start a three-year-old kindergarten program
  • turn four by 30 April of the year they start a four-year-old kindergarten program.

If your child is born between 1 January to 30 April, you may have a choice for the year they start kindergarten as this impacts the year they start school.

An expression of interest allows us to contact you closer to the opening of registrations for your child's kinder year.

How to register

There are 40 kindergarten providers in Stonnington which offer a range of programs for your child.

You can register your child for kindergarten in one of two ways by:

  • contacting the centre directly for any kindergarten
  • submitting a registration with us for the specific Central Registration Scheme (CRS) kindergarten providers.

The CRS allows you to:

  • submit one application with preferences for multiple services
  • be allocated to your preference of programs
  • avoid contacting each provider individually and paying individual registration fees.

To register for placement at any one of the CRS providers, go to our register for kindergarten page.

For information on specific programs, or to see a full list of kindergarten providers in Stonnington, visit our Children's Services Directory.

You can also visit the Department of Education's Find a Kinder website to find local services offering government-approved programs, including those outside of Stonnington.

CRS kindergarten providers

Service Phone Address
Glen Education Serrell Street Kindergarten 03 9570 5866 54 Serrell Street, Malvern East 3145
Princes Close Early Years 03 8290 3247 17 Princes Close, Prahran 3181
South Yarra Preschool 03 9804 7569 259 Malvern Road, South Yarra 3141
Stonnington Children's Centre 03 9510 1500 110 Union Street, Windsor 3181
Windsor Community Children's Centre 03 9521 4653 131-133 Union Street, Windsor 3181

What if your child isn't old enough?

If your child is not yet old enough to register for kindergarten, we encourage you to submit an expression of interest.

This means we will contact you closer to the opening of registrations for your child's kinder year.

Express your interest

What are the immunisation requirements?

According to the No Jab, No Play law in Victoria, your child must be fully vaccinated to start kindergarten. You should ensure that your child's immunisations are up to date and you have a copy of the Immunisation History Statement before starting the enrolment process with your kindergarten provider.

Children experiencing vulnerability and disadvantage can enrol in a service without providing proof of up-to-date immunisation. The child must be vaccinated and provide an Immunisation History Statement within 16 weeks of enrolling.

For more information on immunisation requirements, visit Victoria Government's Immunisation page.