If you are planning to prune or remove a tree on your property you may need to get a permit first.
Protecting Significant Trees
Local Law protection
We have a General Local Law that protects significant trees on private land (refer to Part 14 - Tree protection, pages 57, 58).
Under the Local Law you must obtain a Tree Works Permit before any works (pruning or removal) are undertaken on a tree deemed to be 'significant'.
A Significant Tree is a tree or palm:
- with a trunk circumference of 140 cm or greater measured at 1.4 m above its base
- with a total circumference of all its trunks of 140 cm or greater measured at 1.4 m above its base
- with a trunk circumference of 180 cm or greater measured at its base
- with a total circumference of all its trunks of 180 cm or greater measured at its base.
Need a Tree Works Permit?
To apply for a permit visit the Tree Works page.
Apply for a tree works permit
Planning Scheme protection
The Stonnington Planning Scheme applies tree controls over two specific areas within the city:
- Yarra (Birrarung) River Corridor Environs, and
- Hedgeley Dene Precinct
The areas subject to tree controls are highlighted on the maps:
Important: If you live in one of these areas you must obtain planning approval before pruning or removing any tree.
For planning permit requirements please email the Planning Services team or call the City on 03 8290 1333.