Short and Long Term Objectives
- Establish a central pedestrian avenue as a key north-south axis, connecting Malvern Road in the north with Princes Close in the south. This pedestrian avenue will comprise a generously-dimensioned walkway with opportunities for feature paving, more seats, drinking fountains, bins, lighting and wayfinding signage. The pedestrian avenue will provide clear and open sightlines, improving amenity and safety for all users. Avenue planting of large, deciduous canopy trees along either side of the avenue will assist in making it a strong visual element of the Gardens.
- Remove the easternmost tennis court and create more green space.
- Reconfigure the forecourt area to the east of Chapel Off Chapel such that this space is a plaza integrated into the central pedestrian avenue, with improved access and sightlines. The intention is to establish a more prominent address for Chapel Off Chapel as a key attraction within Princes Gardens. The plaza will act as a key meeting space with the Gardens in a central location which is readily accessible from all surrounding streets.
- Establish a formal entry to Princes Gardens on Princes Close, at the southern end of the proposed central pedestrian avenue. The northern entry on Malvern Road is already accessed via historic entry gates, and an opportunity exists at the southern end to anchor the path.
- Remove the majority of the existing under-utilised pavement between Chapel Off Chapel and Malvern Road and replace it with grass and trees, as a means of providing more 'green space' in the northern part of the Gardens and improving the frontage to Malvern Road.
- Demolish 22 Little Chapel Street and relocate Council services elsewhere. Reconfigure car park further north to allow for an entryway/forecourt and event space to the entrance of Chapel Off Chapel.
- Demolish the majority of the existing car park to create a new civic space to include expanded green space and a central footpath connecting Chapel Off Chapel to Little Chapel Street. The space can be utilised for events associated with Chapel Off Chapel, as well as other complementary activities associated with arts and culture.
- Retain two existing tennis courts and reconfigure to become multi-use courts.
- Formalise and enhance the east-west connection from Little Chapel Street into the Gardens by replacing the existing goat track through the grass with a paved pathway and lighting.
- Establish a new picnic/bbq area within a highly-visible, central location close to main pedestrian thoroughfares and the existing playground. The picnic/bbq area should comprise all facilities required for such a use, including a shelter structure, seating, tables and bbq.
- Retain the existing basketball court. Install floodlights to the basketball court; lights to be installed on timers to balance night use with local residents.
- Retain the existing Prahran Aquatic Centre.
- Retain the existing passive recreation spaces in the southern part of the Gardens, including the sunken lawn.
- Retain the existing playground.
- Retain existing National Trust listed tree Combretum caffrum.
- Upgrade the existing Exeloo public toilet.
- Add a new single occupancy automated public toilet to service the northern section of Princes Gardens.
Update: This area is within a registered place and subject to a Heritage Victoria permit application. The proposed toilet within the masterplan was not supported by Heritage Victoria and is no longer proposed.
- Retain the existing 50-metre outdoor pool, with an expanded and improved pool deck, complete with custom-designed shade structures and expansive areas of usable recreation space. Replace the existing utilitarian fence at the perimeter of the Aquatic Centre with a new fence which is more architecturally-sensitive and complements the public domain of Princes Gardens.
- Provide a signalised pedestrian crossing on Malvern Road, on the alignment of the central pedestrian avenue, in anticipation of the redevelopment of the Horace Petty Housing Estate. This is subject to further investigation and Vic Road and Yarra Trams approval.
View Princes Gardens Masterplan report(PDF, 3MB)
View Princes Gardens Masterplan staging plan(PDF, 3MB)