Collection dates and times
Visit Services Near Me to search for your property's waste and recycling collection dates.
Bins will be collected from the following times:
- 4.30am weekdays on main roads and commercial shopping strips
- 6am weekdays on residential streets.
Kerbside bin placement
Bins should be placed out on the nature strip. If your vehicles are the only ones using the driveway, you can place your bin in the driveway away from pedestrian access and footpaths.
- parallel to the kerb with the lid opening onto the road
- away from overhead trees
- away from power poles or street signs
- away from parked cars
- spaced at least 30cm away from other bins.
Council's Local Law, introduced in 2004, states:
- bins must be placed on the nature strip or footpath in front of your property (it is OK to use the driveway cross over if you don’t block pedestrians, cyclists or access by other vehicles)
- garbage bins can be placed out at 3 pm the day before collection and must be returned before midnight the day of collection
- contents of your bin must not exceed 60kg
The Local Law maintains pedestrian and disabled access and community safety, particularly in parts of the city where the streets are narrow.
Filling your bin
Please ensure you:
- place material loosely for easy disposal
- heavy moisture items, like fresh lawn clippings, should be put in last to prevent material sticking to the bottom of the bin
- position the bin with the handles and wheels facing your house
- ensure the maximum bin weight is 60 kg.
Need a new bin?
Complete the application form below and return to Council via post to PO Box 58, Malvern VIC 3144 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Stolen or missing bins
To arrange a replacement bin, complete the statutory declaration form and bin application form and return to the Council's Service Centre.
Missing Bin Statutory Declaration(PDF, 29KB)
Christmas tree recycling
Recycle your real Christmas tree for free at the Stonnington Waste Transfer Station anytime during opening hours.
Note: The Transfer Station is closed Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day.
Request a free Christmas tree pick up by calling Council on 8290 1333 between Boxing Day 24 January and 31 January or email email@example.com.
Please place your tree out for collection before you request a pick up.
Clear signage helps people to understand what goes in each bin. Download our signage or collect from a Council Service Centre near you. Options available: A4 stickers, A3 posters, A2 corflute signs.