Constructing or replacing a fence in Stonnington may require a building permit or a planning permit.

When do I need a permit to build a fence?

You’ll require a building permit for:

  • any fence being used as a swimming pool safety barrier (regardless of height)
  • any masonry, concrete or similar material front or side street fence over 1.2 metres in height
  • any retaining wall that is not associated with other building work or with protection of adjoining property
  • any fence height greater than the heights listed below.

A building permit is not required to construct a timber, paling or 'colorbond' fence provided:

  • the height of the side and rear boundary fence is not more than 2 metres (where the height of the side boundary fences within 3 metres of the front title boundary is not more than 1.5 metres)
  • the height the front fence within 3 metres of the front tile boundary is not more than 1.5 metres or 2 metres for a declared road (a “declared road” means a freeway or an arterial road within the meaning of the Road Management Act 2004)
  • the height of the side street fence is not more than 1.5 metres
  • the height of the corner fences are restricted to a maximum of 1 metre when built within 9 metres of street alignments
  • It doesn’t form part of a safety barrier for a swimming pool, spa or an outdoor play space associated with a children's service.

Please keep in mind that:

  • Fence heights (including any trellis or screen) are measured from natural ground level.
  • No part of a retaining wall (for example the footing or excavation) may cross the title boundary.
  • Gates must not swing out over the title boundary or footpath/road reserve.
  • All fence structures, including footings must be located within the property where the works are being carried out.

You should also check whether your project involves removing, pruning or carrying out works near a protected tree. You may need a permit for the tree works.

Shared fences with neighbours

You may need to discuss the shared fencing between your and your neighbour’s property. Council has no involvement in shared fences, any costs relating to shared fences or any disputes relating to shared fences. 

We can provide your neighbour’s contact details(PDF, 168KB) to discuss these matters.

Fencing dispute

If you’re having a fencing dispute with your neighbour we aren’t able to intervene. You can contact the Victorian Government’s Dispute Settlement Centre for assistance.