Hoarding and barricades

Hoarding and barricades protect the public during construction and keep the construction site secure at all times.

You must have a permit in place before putting up hoarding, a protective barrier or temporary fencing on Council land.

If a hoarding is required for a building permit, you’ll need a Report and Consent - Precautions Over Street from Council before the building permit is issued.

When you have your Report and Consent, you can apply for a hoarding permit.

Apply for hoarding and barricades

Apply for hoarding and barricades through eServices portal

In your application, you will need to provide:

  • A completed Hoarding or Overhead Protective Awning application form.
  • A fully-scaled, detailed site plan indicating the size and site of the hoarding. The plan should also include physical constraints such as pits, poles, drainage points and street trees.
  • Detailed traffic management plans.
  • A copy of a current certificate of public liability insurance for $20 million.

You may also need to provide:

  • Regulation 116 approval
  • VicRoad Memorandum of Authorisation (MoA)
  • Yarra Trams consent
  • State authority / utility approvals

We need a minimum of 10 days to assess applications. If further internal referrals are needed, we will need longer than 10 days.


Application fee: $200

Occupation fee per m2/week: $11

Fast track fee: $104 (subject to approval and eligibility)

More information

For more information, call us on 03 8290 1333 or email amenity@stonnington.vic.gov.au