Apply for a Roadside Dining Permit

Stonnington’s Roadside Dining Program allows a business exclusive use of a ‘parklet’, which is a parking space converted into an outdoor dining space. The parklet is established at the front of or side of their property and may include a neighbouring property (that has given consent). A parklet cannot be on the opposite side of the street.  

Establishing a parklet whether temporary or permanent, is a great way for businesses to create an identifiable and intimate environment using recognisable design elements. Businesses can now tailor their roadside dining space without being bound to structures previously provided by City of Stonnington.

Key information

There are two options for businesses:  

  • Apply for a Summer Roadside Dining Permit to establish a parklet for six months from November 2023 to April 2024. You must apply for a new permit each year. Applications are now closed.
  • Apply for an annual 365 Roadside Dining Permit for businesses who want a parklet all year round. This permit can be renewed annually.

Read more in the Roadside Dining Framework(PDF, 541KB).

How to apply

Register your business

You need to register your food or accommodation business before you can apply for a Roadside Dining Permit.

Prepare your documents

Prepare the documents you may need to submit with your application.

This depends on the permit you are applying for. You may need:

  • Certificate of Currency for public liability insurance covering a minimum of $20 million, which notes the address/es of all premises the proposed parklet will be in front of.
  • Complete aerial site plan for the proposed parklet, including position of Council assets and chairs, tables, umbrellas, heaters and other items to be placed within the permit area. All site plans must be an appropriate scale (1:100 or 1:200).
  • Completed elevation site plan for the proposed parklet, including position of all Council assets. All site plans must be an appropriate scale (1:100 or 1:200).
  • Photo of the car parking area showing the location of Council parking signs and assets.
  • Letter of consent from adjacent ground level business owner, body corporate and/or occupier if your proposed parklet sits outside the front of another business. If the adjacent property is vacant, you’ll need a letter of consent from the owner of the property.

For a 365 Roadside Dining Permit, you will also need to provide:

  • plans including the barriers, designed by a qualified engineer and architect
  • a Certificate of Compliance from a qualified engineer for the design, and for the completed works
  • details of all construction materials.

View the Roadside Dining Framework(PDF, 541KB) for more information.

Submit your application

Have payment for the $75 application fee ready. 

Apply now

Receive the outcome

Council will email you about your application and let you know the outcome. The application may be accepted with certain conditions.

Receive your permit

If your application is approved, you will receive your permit sticker in the mail. The sticker must be stuck to the front window of your premises. 

Have regular inspections

Council officers will make regular inspections throughout the year to make sure you are meeting all permit conditions.

Frequently asked questions (FAQs)

Where is a parklet not permitted?

A parklet will not be permitted:

  • in streets where the speed limit exceeds 50 km/h
  • in car parking spaces with blue restrictions (e.g. accessible parking spaces), red zones (e.g. No Stopping areas, Loading Zones, Truck Zones, Taxi Zones, Mail Zones) or green parking restrictions of less than one hour
  • in areas obstructing access for deliveries, essential and emergency vehicle access, access to commercial car parks and residential building car parks
  • within one metre of a fire hydrant
  • in bus zones or adjacent to tram stops
  • in clearways/towaway zones
  • in protected cycle lanes
  • in areas where a 3 metre width for through traffic cannot be maintained, including one-way streets and laneways
  • within one metre of a fire hydrant or three metres from a post box
  • within two metres of a Yarra Trams pole
  • anywhere Council deems it unsafe for the public.

Note that there may be additional access requirements for parklets proposed in car space/s located within or near Council drains with service pit lids, utility access panels or storm drains.

Read more about these details in our Roadside Dining Framework(PDF, 541KB) before applying.

Does a Roadside Dining Permit include an extension of my liquor license?

No. A Roadside Dining Permit does not extend any liquor license (red line). Visit the Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation website for further information on temporary licenses for external areas and amendments to existing liquor licences.

When I buy a business with a parklet, does the existing Roadside Dining Permit transfer to me?

No. Roadside Dining Permits are not transferable so you will need to apply for a new permit.

Apply now

Can I amend or make changes to my permit area once it is approved?

No. You must contact Council before you make any changes as this may not be permitted in your permit area.

Can I apply to use the parklet of neighbouring businesses?

Yes. You can apply online for a parklet to a neighbouring premise as part of your initial application. You will need to provide further documentation and written consent from your neighbour.

Can I put a permanent barrier around my outdoor furniture?

No. Permanent fencing or barrier structures around your outdoor furniture are not permitted on Council land.

Can I place other items in the parklet?

Yes. The placement of items such as tables, chairs, umbrellas, heaters and pot plants must be approved by Council and follow permit conditions.

Do you recommend any suppliers to build my parklet?

The City of Stonnington does not endorse or recommend any specific suppliers to build parklets. Businesses may use a contractor of their choice or select a company from the list below.

Please note that Council cannot attest to the quality or value of the work performed by these companies. There are many other suppliers that you may wish to hire or buy from who are not on this list.

Before starting construction, make sure you apply for a Roadside Dining Permit. Construction must meet Roadside Dining Permit conditions and the terms set out in the Roadside Dining Framework(PDF, 541KB).

If you have further questions, please contact our Footpath Trading team at