Domestic Animal Business Permit


If you are looking to open a business that is buying, selling, rearing, training or boarding domestic animals, you will need a permit. This includes: 

  • animal pounds 
  • breeding businesses for cats and/or dogs 
  • training facilities for dogs 
  • pet shops 
  • animal or welfare shelters 
  • dog and cat rearing premises. 

A domestic animal can be a bird, cat, dog, ferret, fish, guinea pig, hermit crab, mouse, poultry, rabbit, rat, reptile, spider or turtle. 

Apply now

As a domestic animal-related business, you must comply with state codes of practice. We inspect each business before they open and every year to make sure they’re compliant and animals are well cared for.  

For more information on your responsibilities, check the Animal Welfare Victoria website


Use our Permit Finder if you’re not sure what permits you need.

For other information or advice, please contact our Animal Management team at or on 03 8290 1333.

Frequently asked questions

How much does a Domestic Animal Business Permit cost?

An annual permit costs $294.69 which you pay up front when you apply online.  

How long will it take to get a Domestic Animal Business Permit?

The registration process takes about 20 business days on average.

How do I renew my permit?

You will need to renew your registration annually. Renewal forms will be sent in early March and must be completed, and paid for by April.

How do I know if I need to register a domestic animal business?

You run a domestic animal business if you:

  • have a dog training establishment that is run for profit 
  • operate a pet shop in a permanent location that is open at least five days per week 
  • have an animal shelter or welfare organisation such as the RSPCA or The Lost Dogs' Home 
  • run a for-profit, overnight, day-care or homecare boarding establishment for cats or dogs 
  • breed cats or dogs to sell regardless of whether you make a profit 
  • have three or more fertile female cats or dogs and you are not a member of an ‘applicable organisation’ for breeding or showing, as defined by Agriculture Victoria

You do not need to register if you are a member of an ‘applicable organisation’ and you have less than 10 fertile female cats and dogs in total.