Personal Training Permit


If you want to operate personal training sessions in Council parks or reserves, you’ll need a permit.  

In line with the sporting seasons, permits are available for six months: 

  • Summer from 1 October to 31 March 
  • Winter from 1 April to 30 September 

Please read the full terms and conditions before applying. 

This permit is only for personal training outdoors in Council parks or reserves.  

If you are opening a business that offers personal training in a home or commercial property, you may need a Planning Permit.


Use our Permit Finder if you're not sure what permits you need.  

For more information, contact our Recreation team at or on 03 8290 1388

How to apply 

  1. Prepare your documents

    Prepare the documents you may need to submit with your application. See the FAQs for a list of documents.

  2. Complete the application

    Download and complete the application form(PDF, 344KB).

  3. Send your application
    Email your completed form to

    Or mail to: 
    City of Stonnington 
    PO Box 58
    Malvern 3144 

  4. Receive your permit
    There are three possible outcomes of your application:

    • We approve your application and issue a permit. 
    • We issue a limited permit with restrictions on the group size or number, type, location and time of activities. 
    • We choose not to approve a permit. 

    If successful, we will send your permit in the mail, or you can request to pick it up from one of our Customer Service Centres.  

Frequently asked questions

How much does a Personal Training Permit cost?

There is no fee for a Personal Training Permit. 

How long will it take to get a Personal Training Permit?

Allow up to seven days for a response to your application. 

What documents do I need to apply?

To apply, you’ll need to provide copies of: 

  • Certificate of Currency for public liability insurance covering a minimum of $10 million
  • a site-specific risk management plan
  • evidence of registration with Fitness Australia or another recognised peak body or educational institution. 

How is my application assessed?

Applications are assessed according to the existing use of the park, the park's physical condition and the impact on our community’s enjoyment of the park.