Como Park and Como Park North

Located next to the Yarra River and near the historic Como house, Como Park is famous for it's vast, sloping lawns and scenic views.

Como Park North continues over Alexandra Avenue, situated next to the popular Kanteen cafe on the river bank.

Dogs are allowed off-leash in Thomas Oval Dark Park, located in the southern end of Como Park. Dogs are allowed on-lead only in Como Park North.

The parks' features: football and cricket (2 turf cricket wickets and 3 turf practice wickets) sports oval with floodlights, BBQ area, basketball half court, playground, outdoor exercise equipment, bike path and a dog park.

Sports grounds

Como Oval (football, cricket)


Football and cricket


Floodlights, 2 turf crickets, 3 turf practice wickets and public toilets.


Como Park Pavilion.


1.92 hectare.


Old Geelong Football Club and South Yarra Cricket Club.

Apply to hire sports grounds


In 1847 Sir Edward Williams, a lawyer, politician and later Judge of the first Supreme Court of Victoria, purchased land extending from the Yarra River to Toorak Road. Its lake and water vistas inspired Williams to name it after Lake Como in Italy, where he had proposed to his wife, Jessie.

Over time, the lake became a swamp when the level of the Yarra River was lowered. In 1921, Prahran Council purchased 35 acres from then owners and spent many years draining the swamp and re-grading the land. The site was transformed into a public park and recreation ground and opened to the public in 1934.

For more information, contact the Stonnington History Centre

Public transport

The nearest public transport services are:

  • Bus route 605 along Bruce Street
  • Tram route 58 along Toorak Road.

Use Public Transport Victoria's Journey planner.