Request pre-application advice

Some land use and permit applications are more complex than others. You can request pre-application advice to help you in these cases. 

We can help you with pre-application advice for the following:

  • developments where it’s not clear from policy whether compliance with the applicable planning controls is achieved
  • developments of three levels or more
  • full demolition of a building in a Heritage Overlay and proposed replacement building
  • multi-unit developments 
  • non-residential use of a residential zone.

To give you pre-application advice, we’ll need a few documents from you:

  • a completed pre-application form or a summary clearly detailing the project
  • a site plan and any photos of the site and surrounds
  • concept drawings
  • any other information to help us assess your proposal.

What if I need advice NOT relating to a case mentioned above?

We have planners on duty each day to assist with enquiries. 

You can call a Stonnington duty planner on 8290 3329 or speak with one in person by visiting our office during business hours - it’s located at 311 Glenferrie Road, Malvern

We recommend visiting outside the hours of midday and 2pm; this is usually a very busy time and we can only provide brief advice in this period.

How do I request pre-application advice?

Use the Planning Register in our ePlanning portal to request pre-application advice. 

Request advice now through ePlanning

When you’ve completed the request (including sufficient information for us to understand what you’re proposing), one of our planners will assess your proposal and provide you with advice.

Can I send a request by mail?

Yes. If you’d prefer to send your pre-application request by mail, you can fill out the form below and send it to the address at the bottom of the form. 

Don’t forget to send the documents (site plans, concept drawings, photos, etc) mentioned at the top of this page as well.